Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Wiring

Today I'm trying to teach myself wiring. When a system administrator wants networking supplied to an area, it must have a cable to run the electronic signals through. The most convenient and least obtrusive way to do this is to have jacks in the wall on either end that a short cable can be connected to. I'm learning to hook up the jacks, as demonstrated in this video.
The good news is, the jack's internal components are color coded. The bad news is, it's way trickier than it looks. The damned wires don't want to fit into their ports, and there's two color schemes, contradictory with each other, and I'm not sure which is the "right" one. Also, it occurs to me now that I forgot to get a punchdown tool, which I'll need to secure the cable once placed.
I don't just want this for professional reasons, I also intend to someday have a house with this kind of thing in it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...